0 comments

DIY of the week...dino cake...

Published on 5.22.2012 in , ,

I like to think that I'm crafty. 

When it comes to cakes...not so much.  That's my sister.  She's fabulous and has always done the boys' cakes.  Heck, even with Mini #2 I got off the hook because a girlfriend stepped in with the awesome Very Hungry Caterpillar cake...

Unfortunately, Mini #1's birthday snuck up on us.  So, I decided to diy one myself.

I started by googling "dinosaur cake", and came across this listing.  I figured I could finagle it to fit with what I wanted.

So, I made three round cakes.  
DSC_0006



Cut one in half and placed the two halves together to make the body...and cut another into a crescent to make the tail and the neck.
DSC_0009



And then, well, then I just started chopping pieces until I was happy.  Seriously...I have no idea how I did this, but here's a pic of the head, neck and legs...
DSC_0011


...and the head from the back...
DSC_0013



I did a quick crumb coat over it all...
DSC_0015



...and then decorated with appropriate star tips, chocolate chips and graham crackers...
DSC_0019



Thoughts?  Besides the fact that it looks like an alligator with crazy scales on its back??  What cakes have you diy'd from a regular cake pan??

My boys don't share, but if you want to...

Related Posts

No Response to "DIY of the week...dino cake..."

Add Your Comment